All Historical Places

Showing Historical Places 1-14 of 62
  •   Favorite

    Ad Diriyah

    Address: Saudi Arabia
    Riyadh
    Riyadh
    Saudi Arabia

    Diriyah, formerly romanized as Dereyeh, and Dariyya, is a town in Saudi Arabia located on the north-western outskirts of the Saudi capital, Riyadh. Diriyah was the original home of the Saudi royal family, and served as the capital of the Emirate of Diriyah under the first Saudi dynasty from 1744 to 1818. Today, the town is the seat of the Diriyah Governorate, which also includes the villages of Uyayna, Jubayla, and Al-Ammariyyah, among others, and is part of Ar Riyad Province.The Turaif district, the first capital of Saudis, in Diriyah was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2010.

  •   Favorite

    Al Fahidi Historical District (Bastakiya)

    Address: Al Hamriya,Bur Dubai - Dubai - United Arab Emirates
    Dubai
    Dubai
    United Arab Emirates

    Al Fahidi Historical Neighbourhood also known as Al Bastakiya is a historic district in Dubai, United Arab Emirates (UAE). Bastakiya is from "Bastak" which was a town part of the Arab-dominated province of Lars in south central Iran. The construction of Al Fahidi Historical Neighbourhood dates back to the 1890s. In its prime, the locality was capable of supporting 60 housing units, most of which were separated by narrow, winding lanes. In the 1980s half of the Al Fahidi Historical Neighbourhood village was destroyed to make way for the development of a new office complex. The remaining houses were mostly used as warehouses or accommodation for foreign laborers. In 1989, the Dubai Municipality directed that the remaining parts of Al Fahidi Historical Neighbourhood were to be demolished. Rayner Otter, a British architect, came to the area and made extensive renovation in the house where he was staying. Rayner started a campaign to preserve the area and wrote a letter to Prince Charles, who was scheduled to visit Dubai that year. On his arrival, Prince Charles asked to visit Al Fahidi Historical Neighborhood and explored the whole area with Rayner Otter. During his visit the Prince suggested that Al Fahidi Historical Neighbourhood should be preserved and the demolition was canceled.

  • Favorite

    Allama Iqbal Mausoleum

    Address: Outside Badshahi Mosque, Lahore
    Lahore
    Punjab
    Pakistan

    Allama Iqbal tomb is the most simple and impressive structure situated in Lahore, Pakistan, between Lahore Fort and Badshahi Masjid. The structure of Allama Iqbal tomb is a reflection of a combination of Moorish and Afghan Architecture. Red sandstones were used to manufacture the tomb of Allama Iqbal. Thousands of people come to visit the mausoleum per day to pay their due respect to Poet Allama Iqbal.   Allama Iqbal was considered as one of the most inspiring characters behind the movement of Pakistan. Allama Iqbal was given a name of Mukaffir-e-Pakistan which means the Thinker of Pakistan and Shair-e-Mashriq meaning the Poet of the East. Allama Iqbal died in 1938, 21 of April in Lahore at the age of 60.As a tribute to Allama Iqbal the name of the Lahore Airport was named Allama Iqbal International Airport.   After the death of Allama Iqbal a committee was formed presided by Muhammad Hussain, the initial designs submitted by different architects were not satisfactory. The committee decided to design a new combination rather than following specific school of arthitect.The final mode was designed from Mughal tradition and was a mixture of Moorish and Afghanistan architecture. The Tomb has two gates located at the eastern and southern sides, tiled with marble. White marbles were used to build the grave.   There are Quranic verses inscribed in calligraphy on tombstone. People of Afghanistan gifted the tombstone. Ghazals are carved from the book name Zabur-e-Ajam written by Allama Iqbal inside walls. There is a small garden outside divided into small plots. Tomb was architect by Nawab Zain Yar Jang Bahadur which took 13 years to build this tomb, the major reason of delay was the shortage of red stone from Jaipur .The tomb was built at a cost of one hundred thousand rupees.  

  • Favorite

    Anarkali Tomb

    Address: Islampura, Lahore, Punjab
    Lahore
    Punjab
    Pakistan

    Anarkali Tomb is one of the famous Tombs and Historical  In Pakistan. It Is Located In Lahore, Punjab Pakistan.   It is now believed that Nadira Begum (named "Anarkali" due to her red like complexion like a “pomegranate” in full bloom)  died in mysterious circumstances when Akbar was away in Deccan.   There are different versions exist on her death. In which one account is her natural death when Emperor Akbar was visiting Deccan and he ordered to build a tomb.     In other accounts, which are not verily proved by historian is being poisoned by other courtiers after receiving orders from Prince Salem (Jehangir) when she was concubine of Akbar too and the mother of Danial (Jehangir's brother). And the most popular version is of this s that when emperor was in Deccan, Prince Salim made advances on the beautiful woman, and on learning of this the emperor ordered that she be buried alive so that any misunderstanding between the emperor and the prince be removed. Here, we cannot ignore the fact that court historian had also recorded the natural death of "Danial"s mother.     A note from a British traveller William Finch, who visited Lahore in 1608, three years after Prince Salim ascended the throne as Emperor Jahangir. “The King (Jahangir), in token of his love, commands a sumptuous tomb to be built of stone in the midst of a four-square garden richly walled, with a gate and diverse rooms over it,” wrote William Finch. But he failed to provide any other detail and this can be in result of his imagination. The tomb of Anarkali is one of the most significant buildings of the Mughal period.     It is an ingeniously planned octagonal building. Circular in shape and roofed by a lofty dome, the tomb once surrounded a garden, called Anarkali Garden, but during the last couple of hundred years it has been put to several uses. Under the Sikhs, the mausoleum was occupied by kharak Singh. Later it served as the residence of General Ventura, the Italian General of Ranjit Singh’s army. Under the British, The tomb was converted into Church (a protestant Church) in 1851 right after 2 years of British Control on Lahore. Few years later, it was converted to St. James' Church in 1857 till 1891. Since then, it has been used as Punjab Archives Museum with an amazing treasure for those interested in the history of British Punjab.

  •   Favorite

    Bab Al Bahrain

    Address: Manama 304, Bahrain
    Manama
    Manama
    Bahrain

    Bab Al Bahrain is a historical building located in the Customs Square in Manama's former central business district. It marks the main entrance to the Manama Souq. Designed by Sir Charles Belgrave, adviser to the Emir and completed in 1949, Bab Al Bahrain once stood close to the water's edge. Due to extensive land reclamation in the later years, the sea is located a few kilometres north. Government Avenue, which runs alongside Bab Al Bahrain, and the new highway that leads to the causeway to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia were built on reclaimed land. The Bahrain Financial Harbour is being constructed on further reclaimed land. The monument itself was refurbished in 1986 to incorporate Islamic architectural features.Today, the ground floor now houses the tourist information office and a handicrafts shop. The monument essentially consists of a huge arch, below which runs a road, which is often referred to as the entrance to the Manama souq (marketplace). Government Avenue, which runs in front of Bab Al Bahrain, contains many major banks and business establishments. Government Avenue is so named because the entire offices of the Bahrain government were once housed here. The Gold City (different from Gold Souq) is a shopping complex for gold ornaments and is also located on Government Avenue. The Indian jewellery retailer Alukkas has a branch in Gold Cit.

  • Favorite

    Badshahi Mosque

    Address: Lahore
    Lahore
    Punjab
    Pakistan

    Badshahi Mosque (transformation in English: Royal Mosque) is the second largest mosque of Pakistan,  located in provincial capital Lahore of Punjab. Badshahi Masjid is a Tourist Attraction and a must visited place in Lahore Pakistan.   It was built in 1673 A.D. by the sixth Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb Alamgir. The mosque remained the largest mosque in the world from 1673 to 1986, when it was overtaken in capacity and size upon the completion of Shah Faisal Mosque in Islamabad. It has a total area of 29,867.2 square meters (321, 488 square feet) and can accommodate up to 100,000 worshipers. Now it is an 8th largest mosque in the world in terms of its capacity for accommodating worshipers and 10th largest in terms of total area. Badshahi Mosque with its beautiful Mughal architectural style and historical background is a major landmark and tourist attraction not only in Lahore but in whole Punjab.     The mosque was built under the patronage of the sixth Mughal Emperor, Aurangzeb Alamgir. It was completed in 1673 under the supervision of Aurangzeb's foster brother Muzaffar Hussain (also known as Fidaie Khan Koka) who was appointed a governor of Lahore in May 1671 and held this post until 1675. He was also Master of Ordnance to the emperor.     The construction of the mosque took about two years, from May 1671 to April 1673. The mosque was built opposite the Lahore Fort, illustrating its stature in the Mughal Empire. In conjunction with the building of the mosque, a new gate was built at the fort, named Alamgiri Gate after the Emperor. From 1852 onwards, piecemeal repairs were carried out under the supervision of the Badshahi Mosque Authority. Extensive repairs were carried out from 1939 to 1960 at a cost of about 4.8 million rupees, which brought the mosque to its original shape and condition. The blueprint for the repairs was prepared by the late architect Nawab Zen Yar Jang Bahadur.     In 2000, the repair work of marble inlay in the main vault was repaired under the supervision of Saleem Anjum Qureshi. On the occasion of the second Islamic Summit held at Lahore on February 22, 1974, thirty-nine heads of Muslim states offered their Friday prayers in the Badshahi Masjid, led by Maulana Abdul Qadir Azad, the 'Khatib' of the mosque. Recently a small museum has also been added to the mosque complex, which contains relics of Muhammad, his cousin, and his daughter, Hazrat Fatima Zahra.

  •   Favorite

    Beit Sheikh Isa Bin Ali Al Khalifa (House)

    Address: 762 Road No 1045, Muharraq, Bahrain Muharraq
    Muharraq
    Muharraq
    Bahrain

    Beit Sheikh Isa Bin Ali Al Khalifa  building was constructed around 1800 and is one of the finest examples of a traditional house anywhere in the Gulf. The chief sitting room downstairs was kept cool in summer by the down draft from the badqeer(wind tower), the shutters on which could be closed in winter – stand beneath it to see how effective this system of natural air conditioning really is. There's some fine gypsum and woodcarving throughout.

  • Favorite

    Bhati Gate

    Address: Qadimi Shehr, Lahore, Punjab
    Lahore
    Punjab
    Pakistan

    Bhatti Gate is named after the Bhattis, on ancient Rajput tribe, which invaded the quarters in old times. the most popular market here is the Hakiman wali bazar as the name suggests there are a number of Hakim shops here. A museum is also located near Bhatti gate, where there are a number of ancient remains of different old times. Old house of famous poet and philosopher Allama Mohammad Iqbal RA is also located in Bhatti gate. He used to live here when he was doing his graduation. An old school named Victorian school is also located here; it is given the name Victoria after the name of Queen Victoria. People of Bhatti gate are lively and they love to eat heavy and good food mainly Sri pai, halva puri and lasi. The favorite sport among the people here is wrestling. Famous wrestler Kala Maro also belongs to Bhatti gate.

  • Favorite

    Chandragup Volcanos

    Address: Makran Coastal Hwy, Pakistan
    Makran
    Balochistan
    Pakistan

    There are more then 80 mud volcanoes located in Pakistan.The highest Concentration is just 3 hrs drive from Makran Coastal highway towards North in Hingol National Park, Baluchistan, Pakistan.Approaching the Mud Volcanoes. Driving to the mud volcanoes, Pakistan.With 300 feet Above Sea level Chander Gup Mud Volcano is the Highest Mud Volcano in The Entire World.Every year thousands of Hindus from Pakistan and around World gather to attend a four-day ritual at the Hinglaj Mata Temple in Balochistan. PakistanHindwo ny inko b nai apne superstitions ka nishana bnaya hua ha.arabian sea 3 kilometres off the coast of balochistan pakistan.Pakistan is gifted with a diverse landscape. Among many geological wonders here, one big attraction is the presence of 18 mud volcanoes. Infact world's largest and highest known mud volcano is located in Balochistan. The altitiude of highest mud volcano here is 300 ft. The mud volcanoes of Balochistan are not only located on the land but from time to time they appear as small temporary islands in the Arabian Sea also. To reach the most famous group of these mud volcanoes, one has to travel west of Karachi on the Makran Coastal Highway (N10). One has to drive upto a place called Aghor located at the delta of Hungol River. 7 mud volcanoes are located few kilometers North East of Aghor. 11 mud volcanoes are located further west between Kutch and Gwadar.There are two known groups of mud volcanoes here. One is called 'Chandargup' and other is called 'Jabl-ul-Ghurab'. Very close to Chandargup is an ancient Hindu temple called 'Hinglaj temple' or 'Nani Temple'. Due to close proximity of the mud volcano to a Hindu temple, it is very likely that the word Chandargup is actually derived from the word 'Chandargupt'. Another word which locally mentions this group of volcanoes is 'Chandra coop' which means Volcanoes of the Moon. It is said that mud volcanoes have roots that go several kilometers underground and act as safety valves for high underground pressure.

  • Favorite

    Chauburji

    Address: Lahore
    Lahore
    Punjab
    Pakistan

    Chauburji (Chau meaning four, burji meaning tower) is one of the most famous monuments among the structures and buildings of the Mughal era in the city of Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan. In the historic city of Lahore, on the road that led southwards to Multan, the Chauburji gateway remains an extensive garden known to have existed in Mughal times. The establishment of this garden is attributed to Mughal Princess Zeb-un-Nisa, 1646 AD, which appears in one of the inscriptions on the gateway. The gateway consists of four towers and contains much of the brilliant tile work with which the entire entrance was once covered.     The Gateway of the Four Minarets or Chauburji was once the entrance to one of Lahore's many pleasure gardens. The garden, together with one of the gate's corner minarets (on the north-west) is now lost. An inscription on the gateway records that the garden was established here in 1646, in the reign of Shahjahan, by a lady described as Sahib-e-Zebinda Begum-e-Dauran, or 'the elegant lady of the age'. The lady referred to is probably Jahan Ara Begum, the eldest and favorite daughter of Shahjahan, who was known to have built gardens at Lahore. The gateway is beautifully decorated with rich mosaic-work.     Chauburji represents a strong blend of Mughal architecture with ancient Muslim style of building. Its distinguishing features are the minarets which expand from the top, not present anywhere in the sub-continent. Some, however, believe that there were cupolas upon these minarets which collapsed with the passage of time.   Arches are of the so-called 'Tudor' style, adapted to Islamic architecture, particularly in Mughal mausoleums and mosques. The red brickwork is typical of the Muslim buildings of the sub-continent; the doorways and windows running through the interior corridors are examples of the living style that characterized the Mughal buildings. However, the main purpose of building Chauburji appears to be strictly monumental. The decrepit building, which has not lost its elegance, stands alone surrounded by hoardings and bustling traffic on the busy Multan Road.

  • Favorite

    Chaukhandi Tombs

    Address: Port Qasim Rd, Karachi
    Karachi
    Sindh
    Pakistan

    The Chaukhandi Tombs near Karachi, Pakistan are a unique example of such burials. Buried south to north – unusual for the area and time period – these tombs are constructed out of huge sandstone slabs, which are delicately stacked into a finessed pyramid shape. The slabs were then clearly painstakingly carved with intricate patterns, drawings, and relatable scenes. Built between the 15th and 18th centuries, the Chaukhandi Tombs now form a remarkably well-preserved necropolis that often attracts curious visitors and archeologists alike, but the area is not without foreboding legends.   Beyond the elaborate decoration of the tombs, another feature the tombs seem to share with similar necropolis around the world is the conviction locals tend to have that the area is haunted. The tombs at Chaukhandi are renowned for being one of the most haunted sites in the region, and visitors are particularly warned against entering the graveyard at night.   Avoiding the tombs at night isn’t bad advice, haunting or otherwise, because the details and drawings on these fascinating artifices are clearly best experienced in the broad light of day. A fact for which many visitors are likely very thankful.

  • Derawar

    Address: Derawar Fort Rd, Derawar, Bahawalpur, Punjab
    Bahawalpur
    Punjab
    Pakistan

    Derawar Fort is a stronghold located in what is today Bahawalpur, in the Pakistani province of Punjab. The fort traces its history back to the 9th century AD, though it may be added that it only gained its present look several centuries later, during the 18th century.

  • Favorite

    DIR Khyber Pukhtunkhwa Pakistan

    Address: Chakdara Road, Timergara
    Dir District
    Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
    Pakistan

      Dir is a town in Upper Dir District, Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province, Pakistan. It is sometimes known as Dir Proper or Khas Dir to distinguish it from the district. It lies at the foot of the Lowarai Pass, the main motor road to Chitral, on the Dir River, a tributary of the Panjkora River.  Upper Dir is a District of Malakand Division in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa Province. It lies along the Afghanistan border between Chitral, Bajaur Agency and Lower Dir District. The district was formed in 1996, when Dir District was divided into Upper Dir and Lower Dir.   Dir town is the Headquarters of Upper Dir District. It is sometimes known as Dir Proper or Khas Dir to distinguish it from the district. It lies at the foot of the Lowari Pass, the main road to Chitral, on the Dir River. Dir town was founded in the 17th century by Akhund Baba. It was the capital of the former princely state of Dir, until its abolition in 1969. The former royal palace is on a hill above the town. It was replaced as capital by Timergara, before the district was divided in 1996 into two districts (Upper Dir and Lower Dir).   Pushto is the main language spoken in the town. A few people speak Hindko, Gujri and Khowar (Chitrali). The majority of the population in this area are Yousafzai (Malizai), Roghani, Utmankheil, and Mianghan while the ruling class was Khosro.   Brief History: At the end of the 14th century the territories surrounding Dir were populated by the Pakhtuns who were divided in several clans (khels), who battled against each other. The three great clans which conquered the zone were the Yusafzai, Tarkanrai and the Utman Khel. The Dir territory was populated in the 16th century by the Malizai tribe of the Yusufzai Khel, who took control of the zone by chasing away the previous inhabitants, and within this tribe the most prominent fractions became the Painda Khel and Sultan Khel.   Akhund Mullah lIyas Painda Khel of the Malizai tribe lived in Dir in the 17th century. He was recognized as spiritual leader and was known as Akhund (“scholar” in Persian) Baba. Dir village was founded by Akhund Baba. By the 18th century a section of the Painda Khel, coming from the Kohan village in the valley of Nihag (a Panjkora tributary), seized the trade routes with Chitral and Afghanistan.Akhund Baba’s successors expanded the domain into an autonomous political entity which would eventually become the princely state. The clan of Mullah Ilyas Khan assumed the name of Akhund Khel and a dynasty was recognized as Khans (rulers) of Dir. However, till the end of the 19th century, the dominion of the family was limited to the upper Dir.  

Showing Historical Places 1-14 of 62