The Museum of Read more [...]
Zahra Dickson-Freeth, a British author and daughter of the late HRP Dickson, a widely popular former British Political Administrator of Kuwait (from 1929-1936), died last month (20 May 2015) in Colchester, England. She was 90 years old. Zahra was the remaining direct descendant of the famous Dickson family of Kuwait.
Her mother, the late Dame Violet Dickson (d. 1995) was also very famous in Kuwait because she remained in Kuwait even after her husband’s death in 1959. Zahra’s brother, Saud Dickson, died in May 2005. To reminisced life of the famous Dickson family, Friday Times revisited the well loved Beit Dickson museum in Kuwait City, opposite Souq Sharq.
The house is a testament of the strong and last relations between Kuwait and Britain. It stands mostly empty with a few rooms housing the original furniture and photos framing several walls. Each room and photograph has a story to tell. One room is filled with photographs and memoriabilia about the discovery of oil in Kuwait, its exploration, shipments and agreements in the early 1930s and 1940s.
In the first room, to the right, are displays of photographs of Kuwaiti rulers from the time of Mubarak the Great to HH the Amir Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmed Al-Jaber Al- Sabah. The evolution of the Kuwaiti flag is also displayed there. In the foyer is a room filled with photographs each with story of Dickson’s family house and the transition from the 1930s up until the present day. “As shown in the picture, there was no fresh water available in Kuwait at that time, so they got fresh water from neighboring Iraq or Iran,” explained the tour guide, Faiz Khan. “So you see the boats were stationed right next to the Dickson house here. That boat was from Iran. This place was already congested with people or villagers because this place at that time was the most accessible place to boats. The Gulf Road which you see now was salt water at that time; this house was on the seashore. The Gulf Road was only made in the 1970s, from reclaimed land. So before this place behind us was congested with villagers; small sand houses were built there. One of those houses is this one, the Dickson House,” he explained.
Address: Ibraheem Al Mudhaf St, Al Kuwayt, Kuwait